Wednesday, January 23, 2002

Reflections of my past: Part I






Throughout my childhood, to call me a devious little kid was an understatement.
The things I would do to drive people around me up the wall.

There was the nails on the stool stunt which landed me an intimate acquaintance with a by product of the rattan tree; Mr Rattan cane. It was that time, I had a glimpse of what mum did for a living as I did the dance of mercy every time Mr Rattan got more and more acquainted with my legs. I could have sworn I heard Michael Jackson’s “Beat it” bopping in the background. She was a disciplinary teacher. A very good one at that I assure you.

There was also this time where I helped dad shade down his spanking brand new white Alpha Romeo into dirt grey by incessantly climbing all over it barefooted. He loved that car. But I guess he loved me more, because dad was cool about the incident. He just smiled at me and proceeded to repaint the car into a dark maroon color. Yeah, dad was a cool guy. All fun and laughter.

Then there was the spark I started….. which well, turned into a small flame and then proceeded into a full blown blaze where the fire marshals were called in to put my spark out. What can I say, engulfed with the primal instinct to re-discover fire and always wanting to out do myself, I started to nurture the flame, bit by bit until it grew into an adolescent like state and like all adolescents, it grew up into rebellious little uncontrollable monsters. Similar to my Mercy dance, the rebellious flame danced and skipped and jumped, and soon…. spawning out to several others. It was then my uncle called the fire marshals to put the fire out. Hello Mr Rattan! Damn that MJ tune again.

Always wanting to know what the consequences were, I ventured into the boundaries of my parent’s sanity and then proceeded to climb over. Yes, I was a curious kid. Still am. And my childhood seems to circle around similar themes which resulted in the customary dance and acquaintances.

Life was pretty much it for me at that time. Carefree and happy for the most part. Sheesh, how I miss that.

0 comments: